I have been playing around with these ingredients for awhile. I wanted to take my original paleo brownies recipe and turn it into something a little more indulgent! Just like my original recipe these brownies are dairy free, gluten free and refined sugar free. I really wanted to take these brownies to the next level by introducing more good fats and high quality protein to turn these brownies in to the ultimate nutrient dense snack.
Cashew butter has always been my favourite nut butter, It is a great source of healthy fats and when heated and combined with dark chocolate it forms a fudge like texture so naturally i decided to combine this with my original recipe. After a couple of unsuccessful batches and a bit of trial and error… i am sure what i have here is a recipe for paleo fudge brownies will blow you away!
When using almond flour it is important to note that you need to double the amount of eggs that you would use in a recipe using conventional flour. This helps bind the ingredients together. For me, this in itself is a bonus because of all the extra protein and b vitamins you are getting from the extra eggs. In addition to the protein from eggs i also add two tablespoons of collagen protein powder. I have played around with different protein powders in the past but collagen protein is by far my favourite. It’s not as high in protein as your conventional whey proteins, however it has other amazing health benefits such as – it aids digestion, improves skin, helps recovery from training and perhaps most importantly it is amazing for joints and bones.
1 cup Almond Flour
3/4 tablespoon coconut flour
2 heaped table spoons cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 heaped tablespoon Cashew butter
4 Free range eggs
2 tablespoons coconut oil
1 heaped tablespoon triple nut butter
2 table spoons local honey
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
For The Frosting
250 grams of cashew butter
100 grams of dark chocolate
- Preheat oven to 150 degrees
- Take all dry ingredients apart from the 4 square of chocolate and pulse in a blender
- Add the wet ingredients and blend until you are left with a creamy cake consistency
- Chop the remaining 4 squares of 70% cocoa chocolate roughly in to little pieces and fold through the mixture.
- Pour mixture in to baking dish and bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean
For the Fudge Frosting
- Heat 250 grams of cashew butter with 100 grams of dark chocolate
- Spread or pour the mixture over your brownies
- (Optional) Use a fork to create ridges in your brownies like i have
- Cut up your brownies and enjoy (Be as creative as you want)